While these were helpful strategies, I knew, thanks to my experiences with my first baby, that plans do not always play out the way one thinks. Before Elliot was born, I wrote in my birth plan that I wanted to play music during labor. Because I neglected to actually choose the music I wanted to hear, I never got to enjoy my favorite tunes at the hospital.
This time around, I was determined to have the perfect labor playlist.
I began jotting down the songs I wanted several weeks before my due date, and I enlisted my husband to make sure all the music files were ready to go on the iPod.
I’ve always loved how music can brighten my mood instantly and how a certain song can transport me to another time. I knew listening to some inspiring music would help me, most likely in early labor, get into a zone.
When I was choosing songs, I picked some that make me want to dance (Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies, for example), some that would help me push through pain (“Stronger” by Kanye West) and some that I just love (“Like a Prayer” by Madonna). You’ll probably notice that many of the titles offer appropriate encouragement during labor – Alicia Keys’ “Superwoman,” Fleetwood Mac’s “Don’t Stop,” Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ On a Prayer,” NKOTB’s “Hangin’ Tough,” Fergie’s “Big Girls Don’t Cry” and Whitney Houston’s “I’m Every Woman.”
Sadly, labor was so intense that I removed the earbuds before “Push It” by Salt N Pepa and “I’m Coming Out” by Diana Ross played.
Although I didn’t make it through the whole playlist, I can honestly say that being able to “plug in” to these tunes helped me during labor. I loved that the music was only in my ear buds; it improved my “zoning” experience because no one else knew what I was hearing at a particular moment.
All that said, I would highly recommend a labor playlist for all women. If you have used a labor playlist, please share some of your favorites from it.
Here is my entire list:
- Cecilia – Simon & Garfunkel
- Stronger – Kanye West
- Stereo Hearts – Gym Class Heroes
- Move – MercyMe
- The Redeemer – Sanctus Real
- Stronger – Mandisa
- Lose Yourself – Eminem
- Be OK – Ingrid Michaelson
- Superwoman – Alicia Keys
- Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) – Kelly Clarkson
- Hey Mama – Black Eyed Peas
- I Gotta Feeling – Black Eyed Peas
- Own It – Black Eyed Peas
- Let’s Get it Started – Black Eyed Peas
- Push It – Salt N Pepa
- Single Ladies – Beyoncé
- Don’t Stop – Fleetwood Mac
- Hung Up – Madonna
- Like A Prayer – Madonna
- Livin’ On a Prayer – Bon Jovi
- Capri – Colbie Caillat
- Rock Your Body – Justin Timberlake
- Love Shack – B52s
- Firework – Katy Perry
- Moves Like Jagger – Maroon 5
- Hangin’ Tough – NKOTB
- Dynamite – Taio Cruz
- Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO
- Crazy Train – Ozzy Osbourne
- Good – Better Than Ezra
- Big Girls Don’t Cry – Fergie
- Shark in the Water – VV Brown
- Defying Gravity – from “Wicked” (Idina Menzel)
- I’m Every Woman – Whitney Houston
- Get This Party Started – Pink
- Raise Your Glass – Pink
- I’m Coming Out – Diana Ross
- Rumor Has It – Adele
- Seasons of Love – from “Rent”